Dilantin 100 Capsule is a prescription drug used to prevent and treat seizures during or after brain surgery. It treats specific types of seizure attacks, including tonic-clonic (grand mal) and psychomotor (temporal lobe) seizures. This medicine is a medium orange-white, oblong capsule printed with its logo.
WAY OF ADMINISTRATION:
Administer Dilantin 100 Capsule by mouth three times daily. The doctor explains the dosing and administration instructions to the patient. One should not consume more than the healthcare professional has directed. It could be detrimental to health.
SIDE EFFECTS OF DILANTIN 100 CAPSULE:
The side effects of Dilantin 100 Capsule manifest differently in individuals. They are mentioned below:
- Slurred speech
- Uncontrolled twisting neck movements
- Hair loss
- Pale skin
- Stomach bloating
- Muscle stiffness
If the side effects persist, visit the physician immediately to manage it. One may see adverse side effects in the case of drug interactions.
The dosing schedule depends on factors like the severity of disease and the patients response to the treatment.
- For seizures-
Adults: Start with 300 mg once daily or 100 mg three times daily. A loading dosage of 1000 mg is given to clinic or hospital patients every two hours in three doses of 400 mg, 300 mg, and 300 mg. Following the loading dose, the typical maintenance dose may commence.
300 mg daily for children older than six years old is recommended.
Children under six: Your doctor will select your dosage based on your body weight. Initially, 2 or 3 split dosages daily of 5 milligrams (mg) per kilogram (kg) of body weight are administered.
- Refrain from taking this medication if one is allergic to the ingredients.
- Adverse side effects of combining Dilantin 100 Capsule with other medicines exist. Book a doctors appointment if this occurs.
- Headaches, nausea, vomiting, constipation, dizziness, spinning feelings, fatigue, trouble sleeping, or anxiety could occur. If any of these adverse effects linger or worsen, speak with your doctor or pharmacist immediately. When using phenytoin, the gums could swell and bleed.
- Dilantin should only be taken during pregnancy if it has been prescribed. Do not stop taking this medication unless your doctor instructs you to do so since untreated seizures are a serious condition that can harm both a pregnant woman and the fetus. If taken along with this drug, hormonal birth control may not be effective. Consult your doctor about birth control.
- It’s crucial to maintain good dental hygiene by flossing, brushing, and seeing your dentist regularly since phenytoin can result in swollen and bleeding gums. For further information on how to take care of your mouth, gums, and teeth while taking this medicine, consult your doctor.
These necessary precautions are taken for improved health.
DILANTIN CAPSULE INTERACTIONS:
Dilantin 100 Capsule interacts with other medicines and can reduce the effectiveness of the medication taken. Doctor informs the patient about the drugs that should not be ingested with this medicine.
Drugs that interact with the given medicine stated below:
- Divalproex Sodium
Be aware of the drugs and their uses. Liver disease, Alcoholism, and Osteomalacia interact with this medication.
|Active Ingredient||Inactive Ingredients|
|Phenytoin Sodium||Magnesium stearate|